France: National plan of action for fighting sexual harassment on public transport
Topic EqualityServicesProcessesPublic TransportEducation & TrainingAwarenessSafety and SecurityPolicy Document
- Location: France
- Year: 2015
- Initiator: The French Government
To fight sexual harassment in public transport.
- Define and measure sexual harassment and sexual violence in public spaces, in particular in public transport;
- Work closely with transport operators in order to adapt the alarm system together with the transport actors and communicate it to all actors in this field;
- Train professionals in the transport sector to deal with sexual harassment and sexual violence in public transport sector and to guide victims of such violence;
- Develop the organisation of the public transport system to better take into account women’s needs, e.g. stops on demand, longer hours of the public transport means, etc.;
- Reduce the exposure of both women and men to sexual commercials, e.g. in slogans, images, etc.;
- Improve the knowledge of public institutions so that they are better prepared to recognize and deal with acts of harassment;
- Initiate a national awareness-raising campaign that was made in cooperation with civil society;
- Integrate actions against sexual harassment in public policies for education to equality and sexuality;
- Ensure a proper application of the law;
- Ensure necessary human and financial resources to implement the national action plan.
 Press release describing the initiative.